Aug 13, 2008

The "D" Word

As a follow-up to my last post, I wanted to share a very thoughtful essay that I came across. Entitled The Spiritual Roots of the Democratic Party: Why I Am a Mormon Democrat, by Todd Compton, it's an excellent summary as to why some Mormons feel that the Democratic party ideals are more in line with Gospel principles than the Republican party.

I'm under no illusions about "converting" any of you Mormon Republicans to the Democratic party, but at the very least I hope it will correct some of the myths about Mormon Democrats being rebellious, flaming radicals, or bad Mormons who don't live the principles of the Gospel.

Here's the link to the essay. Enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/7207/demosp.html


PS: Boyd K. Packer is a Democrat? Wow.

6 comments:

Chino Blanco said...

LDS 'Yes on 8' Game Plan

I've posted a letter sent from Boyd K. Packer on July 28th to the California LDS stake presidents:

BKP July 28

Apparently, there is a plan in place to put up one million 'Yes on 8' yard signs at 7:00 am on September 22nd.

The Faithful Dissident said...

I just read that letter but it screams "fake." I can't imagine Boyd K. Packer writing a letter to stake presidents that includes slang like "wanna" and "hit me back," among other things. The whole thing sounds way too weird for me. I'll admit he's not one of my favourite GA's, but I'll give the guy more credit than that. :)

Rick said...

For real, of all of them , he's the last one I'd have picked to be A democrat. I'd have picked Hinkley.... . . not sure if I'd have picked any others. But definately not BKP. I'm going to have to look into that, because it just doesn't jive with my BKP notions.

Mormon Heretic said...

FD, I learned you live in Norway. So is this a temp thing? If not, it seems strange to me that you that you are interested in American political parties.

Mormon Heretic said...

One other thing--that letter that Chino cites is from BOB Packer, not BOYD K Packer. BIG difference.

The Faithful Dissident said...

Heretic,

No, it's not a temp thing, definitely long-term. My husband is Norwegian, so that's what brought me here. Someday we'd like to settle in Canada but it's hard to say exactly when that will be. I've always been interested in politics, especially American. Growing up in Canada, we were pretty much as surrounded by American media as you guys. Most Americans I've known don't know much about what's going on outside of their borders, but the rest of the world keeps up with what's going on inside of yours. :)

Thanks for the clarification of Bob Packer. That would explain it. I knew that "hit me back" was just way too hip for Boyd K. LOL.