Jun 29, 2008

Gay Pride Revelation

Yesterday I was in Oslo and suddenly inadvertently found myself in the middle of the city's annual Gay Pride Parade. Kind of ironic after this past week of deep homosexual thought and discussion in the Bloggernacle.

So, as I stood there in the main street holding my ice cream cone, feeling trapped by the crowds and blaring music, I was privileged to witness a grand public display of raunchiness and vulgarity. I say privileged because it was a sort of revelation to me and I could hardly wait to go home, plug in my laptop, and blog some additional thoughts to my previous posting. I started to worry that anyone who had read "My Sexual Creed" could be mistaken to believe that I would be standing there on one of the parade floats myself. So I felt the need to clarify a few things.

This year's Gay Pride had extra cause for celebration in light of Norway's recent decision to allow same-sex marriage and adoption (though the latter may be found to be impractical since Norwegians almost without exception adopt from abroad and the countries they are adopting from set the rules of what kind of parents they're looking for). So as a couple of guys in white veils led the procession of mostly scantily-clad priders, I perhaps wished more than ever that the marriage laws would stay as we have known them. Still, I just didn't feel any more threatened by a couple of guys in veils than I did by Pamela Anderson's drunken-binge- white-string-bikini-on-the-beach-wedding to Tommy Lee. Putting it into perspective, I feel about equally disgusted by such "marriages," whether homosexual or heterosexual. But I don't feel like all is lost because I know that for every such couple, there are many more (heterosexual and homosexual) who would take their marriage vows with the solemnity that they deserve.

I think that those of us who believe in and uphold traditional marriage are only as threatened as we feel. Gay marriage is such an emotionally-charged issue that we tend to put more urgent issues on the back burner. The gay pride display that I found myself a spectator of was disgusting and degrading. It was an in-your-face glorification of raunchiness, vulgarity, promiscuity, and general lack of integrity in matters of love and marriage. And yet there was nothing there of a permissive lifestyle that I haven't already seen heterosexuals promote on a daily basis in the media or in person. Gay marriage isn't tearing down the traditional family. We've done that already and now they're just joining in the destruction. That permissive lifestyle, gay or straight, is what we need to fear the most, in my opinion.

So today is the day in California and I've read that some members are planning to wear rainbow ribbons to church. I think that every member has the right to decide for themselves what is right or wrong and I don't judge them for protesting. I know that many have experienced the pain of conflict in their lives due to homosexuality much more than I have and I sympathize with them greatly. That being said, if I lived in California, I would not wear a rainbow ribbon to church today. Personally, I would feel that by doing so I would be accepting and/or promoting the permissive lifestyle that I abhor. I know that the rainbow flag carries a different meaning for others, but for me it has come to symbolize in-your-face raunchiness and partying more than focusing on human and civil rights for homosexuals. I think that there are many like myself, who want to see gays have those human and civil rights (with the possible exception of marriage in the traditional sense), but feel turned off by all the loose vulgarity.

There was, however, one thing about the parade that was my consolation for witnessing the whole affair and that was the procession of people carrying signs, their mouths covered and splattered with symbolic blood, each bearing a sign with the name of a country where homosexuality is illegal and the penalty for being gay. The countries were spread across the world and the penalties ranged from floggings and beatings to jail time, to death by hanging or stoning. We live in a world of contrasts and I'm gratefully relieved that I live in a society that, despite its flaws, would rather let two men with veils walk down the street than string them up by their necks in the town square.

5 comments:

Christine said...

Wonderful blog post. Thank you for this. We have an area here in our city that has a section which is all gay pride. Everytime I walk in that area I get turned off. Not that I have anything against these people I just don't agree with their outness about what they do.

I have to agree with you that I wouldn't wear that ribbon either. Frankly for me I believe if your denomination offends you seek somewhere that doesn't. We have plently of choices. I wouldn't make it a point to tick off the masses because a few of us want things to change. Instead I would find the place where I belong instead of making a seen.

It's a shame that they have felt such pain but really by staying in that particular denomination they are just putting themselves in front of a firing squad.

God Bless

Cliff said...

Unfortunately a lot of people only look at the "Pride Parade" side of things when approaching this issue. I have the same gut reaction when I see such a display - and I'm gay.

But if we are fair, we have to realize that looking to a Pride Parade as comprehensive example of morality among gays is like looking at Carnaval as a comprehensive example of morality among Brazilians. Sure, there are a lot of people there and a lot of stuff goes on, but there are also people sitting at home with their families, playing Scrabble.

John said...

It's funny how gay pride parades can effect people and the society they live in. I know gay people who hate gay pride parades because they feel it is demeaning their lifestyle and promoting the stereotypes that people have held of gay people for ions. I also know gay people that love gay pride parades because it allows them to be themselves in public for once without having to "blend in," and they get to poke fun of stereotypes by dressing up and "acting gay".

Funny thing is, I've met straight people who love gay pride parades because it's a chance to "get laid," as one of my former coworkers put it. He and his straight friends would go to San Francisco every year for the pride parade just so they could meet girls that thought being a gay rights supporter was sexy.

As Cliff said. we need to be able to see the difference between pride parades and homosexuals in general. Cliff used the example of Carnaval and the Brazilians, but we could also look to Mardi Gras here in the states and conclude that all Catholics are sex crazed boozers before Lent.

Cliff said...

...or Spring Break in Panama City as an example of the moral standing of all college students....

onikarenee said...

Lewd displays don't help the cause of gays.

It only gives the impression that they are hedonistic with no boundaries, so how can people like that be trusted to adopt children? Maybe they are just hedonists celebrating hedonism.

If they want people to respect them they have to act respectable and responsible.