Apr 9, 2008

"To enter or not to enter... that is the question!"

To all those other wishy-washy Mormons out there like me, who:

A) Attend church regularly...
B) Believe in God, Jesus, The Holy Ghost, and the Gospel in general...
C) Pay tithing, keep the Law Of Chastity, Word of Wisdom, and can basically pass a temple recommend interview with flying colours, but perhaps feel a little shaky on certain things...
D) Are honest and would consider themselves an all-round "good" person...

What are your personal criteria for whether or not you are worthy to go to the temple? How do know that your faith is not sufficient in order to enter the temple without bringing condemnation upon yourself?

2 comments:

Clean Cut said...

I remember being asked by my mission president during a temple recommend interview if I considered myself worthy to enter the temple. I had just finished reading "Believing Christ" and I really felt like answering "no", because I no that me, by myself, am not worthy. "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". However, because of my faith in Christ, I have no doubt that my covenant relationship with Him makes me perfect--that together we are worthy. But only through Him. So I answered "yes", but went on to explain my feelings. I think of Enos when he "wrestled" to be forgiven of his sins and then was told that he had been forgiven. I love his response: "I knew that God could not lie, therefore my guilt was swept away". And then he wanted to learn how such a miracle was done ( "How is it done?"). He was answered something to the effect that "Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before seen nor heard". I think of that when I go to the temple. It's possible. "Because of thy faith in Christ". And that to me is indeed a miracle.

Clean Cut said...

Sorry, I forgot to proof read. That would be "know" in the second sentence. And there should have been a comma after "It's possible"--not a period. Case in point with us being imperfect people and thus needing the Savior! :)